Sunday, February 21, 2021

Keepin' it real

Reopening On My Mind Doc


Mornin' Waggoner! Can you relate to this pup?
This has been an interesting weekend. And as always, the questions you ask and the feedback you share always sits and marinates in my brain. Often, the universe is listening and sends me a quote or post or something that relates. For sure someone was listening this weekend. 

Justine, thank you for your honest and real question about the pressure we feel to carry the load of mental health and learning loss, and your question about what the plan is. I can't speak for the district's plans, but I agree completely that the pressure we all feel is real. Somehow it feels like the weight of every problem is on our shoulders to solve. I may not be able to carry you like the sweet dog above, but I hope I can lighten the load a little. I read this over the weekend. 
Are kids behind where they might be in a typical year? Perhaps. Along with the rest of the world. Will Zoom or hybrid or full return or summer school for all fix this? No. Will we be okay? Yes.

It's hard not to listen to the chatter of public opinion. Just in case I haven't told you lately, you're doing AMAZING things on an empty tank. It is enough. And I encourage you to keep thinking about what you can take off your plate to give yourself time to breathe. In any year, in spite of our best efforts, we can't do everything for every child, and this year is no different. In these last few months, I encourage us all to be kind to ourselves, to relax a little, and to enjoy each other and our students. 

The other thing I have to say is that this year has been hard on not just kids-- the grown up struggle is real! Staff and families are lonely, exhausted, and cracking around the edges. I feel like the pressure on the adults, and especially educators, gets lost in the noise. I see you, and I am here for you. I hope this summer for sure we can all rest and recharge. In the meantime, although hybrid will be a little scary and messy, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Three-ish months of school left. Hang in there. 

Also, I am going to own big that I have been on a complaining kick. I read this post https://www.becomingminimalist.com/complain-less about complaining less and it hit home. It's not long and has some great strategies. I needed to hear this, maybe you do, too. No judgment here! I'm going to try this challenge this week. 

Dates & Details
2/22 Reopening punch list begins. There are a variety of dates. A copy will be in your box to complete. I would like to do preliminary walk throughs Thursday and Friday this week. Some items have later deadlines, but I would like to be ready early if we can so we can take care of any items and not be at the last minute. Let me know if I missed something. I've ordered ziplocs and am on the hunt for lysol.

2/22 supply pickup TK/K

2/24 supply pickup 2nd

2/24 Classified Reopening Zoom 12:00 - link and invite to follow

2/26 supply pickup 1st

2/24 K/1 iReady training 9:30-11:30

2/24-2/25 WAEA Negotiations

2/24 No meeting - room setup time

3/1-3/5 Jorge on vacation ( Happy birthday Jorge on March 2nd!)

3/2 end of trimester

3/3 1:30 PD & Staff Meeting - Reopening

3/5 Maintenance Worker Appreciation Day

3/15-19 Conferences and Report Cards go home this week

3/22-3/26 Spring Break

3/29-3/30 Jennifer in New Jersey!

2 Jorge Navarro

24 Brandy Priest

Things you may enjoy reading: 

Below, a senator from back East shared his thoughts  on summer in a longer post on FB in case you are interested. 

Chris Murphy
I want to share some thoughts about why exclusively pushing traditional "summer school" may be a big mistake for exhausted, traumatized kids, and why we need to be thinking bigger about more emotionally and psychologically relevant programming for kids this summer.
We underestimate how hard the last 12 months have been on kids. As a parent of public school 3rd and 6th graders, I know. The disconnect from peers, challenges of distance learning, stop and start of in-school instruction, and general stress of COVID has drained kids. YES there's been learning loss. YES it's been worst for low-income kids without regular digital access and kids with learning needs. YES we need to build new services around these kids to help them catch up. But kids are exhausted, and more school this summer may not work.
We should think of this summer through a wellness lens. Build a fun, socially and emotionally healthy experience this summer where kids can regrow and relearn social-emotional skills and reset their tired brains for the fall, when, hopefully, normal school finally restarts. There can be an educational element to this programming, but traditional classroom-based summer school would be a mistake for all kids. I strongly believe this, and most educators and parents I talk to agree. So here's what this means for federal policy:
The COVID relief bill should have dedicated funding for summer programming that goes beyond just summer school. This money can be administered by school districts, but in partnership with groups like YMCAs, Boys & Girls Clubs, and summer camps to DOUBLE the number of free and affordable summer slots.
These programs should be more about emotional wellbeing than strict instruction. More summer camp than summer school. That will also give educators the summer to prepare for the fall, and use the relief funds to build real supports around kids in need when school restarts.
I'm not alone in this belief. Last week, I sent a letter to congressional leaders making this case. It was signed by 12 other Senators. I'm going to keep pushing to make sure this funding is included in Biden's COVID relief package.

No comments:

Post a Comment