Sunday, September 6, 2020

A little too much?


I can't even begin to tell you how amazing I think you all are! 
I keep seeing messages like this everywhere.




I also want to acknowledge the HUGE lift this has been for you during these first days, exhausting, frustrating, all of those things. What a wonderful job you all have done -- thank you. Everything takes so much longer to do online, and although I know it will never be easy I hope that you will begin to find your groove. This will be another big week as students experience a longer day, so please remember to take a breath, give yourself grace, and know that whatever it is it will not be perfect nor should it be! The communication going out to families tomorrow will bring hard the message that we are all learning and that it will be okay. I feel like parents are very positive and know that this is just how we are doing school now. And they know you are all fantastic!

I was on a walk the other day, and this song came on. I had never heard it before but it sums up what I think we are all feeing. A little inspiration from Shawn Mendes :)
Sometimes it all gets a little too much
But you gotta realize that soon the fog will clear up
And you don't have to be afraid, because we're all the same
And we know that sometimes it all gets a little too much


I am trying out a new way to share Gold Stars-- click to add yours here! 

Made with Padlet
Dates & Details
9/8 Kinder supply pickup 8:30-10
9/8 IEP Luna  3:00 XJ
9/8-18 iReady diagnostic window 2nd grade
9/9 Second Grade Supply Pickup 9-2
9/9 Staff Meeting/Professional Learning Agenda
9/10 IEP Saunders 3:00 ID
9/16 Discretionary Day - no meeting 
9/18 PGC Goals Due
9/23 Progress Reports - no meeting
9/28-10/2 Conference week - no meeting 

Something to make you laugh! Simple Hybrid Explained


Found on Facebook: A Reflection on 12 Days of Virtual Teaching 
1. You can’t teach the same course just now delivered through zoom. It’s a different class. Completely. It needs new modes of delivery, new feedback, new assessment. Trying to teach it the same way Is a recipe for frustration.
2. Kids want to learn. They are rooting for us (the teachers). They know we are trying hard, and they are grateful.
3. If you don’t take a break every 15-20 minutes where you tell kids to stand up, dance (I played “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” today, and my kids were like, “what is this magic we’ve never heard!”) , get a drink of water, go grab your pet or whatever...youve lost your kids. Sitting, staring, and listening is exhausting. Play a song and give kids a break. Model for them that you walk away from the screen, too
4. When you zoom into kids’ homes, you are their guest. Respect their space. Understand their rules and situations are THEIRS, not yours to dictate. But also allow the kids to express pride in their space. Yesterday I noticed a kid was seated in front of some cute curtains. (Polka dot with pompons). I made mention, “oh my word! Cute curtains!” He told me how his grandma had made them for his sisters and how much they loved them. I was reminded that these kids are taking HUGE risks in revealing their spaces to us. We have to honor that.
5. Technology is unreliable. Allow flexible dates. Tardies don't exist. Mics and cameras break. Links expire. Get over yourself and skip the lecture.
6. Listening to words through a screen is hard. Don’t shame kids who ask for clarification or repeats of instructions. Don’t shame kids who zone out. We are all used to using screens to “zone out”. This is a paradigm shift in our use of screens. Give grace and space for that growing.
7. Give kids as much autonomy as possible. Let them own this process. So much feels out of their control, so let them choose their breakout group, or let them choose to listen to a podcast rather than read a book, or let them choose to keep their screen off after confirming it’s them on the other side. Give them the chance to feel empowered and heard.
8. This is hard. It’s hard for kids and teachers and parents. No one is purposefully making choices that are bad. But none of these choices are great. I think I’ve cried every day of August. I know I’ve worked more hours than I ever have. I’ve done 4 hours of planning for every one hour class. I feel like I constantly drop balls and miss Opportunities.
But the kids keep showing up. And the teachers keep showing up. And there are so many opportunities to love and serve one another. And the conversations are so often, “how can we do better?”
I don't have to like this, but I can recognize this is making education richer. I think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment